As the weather turns a little cooler and the days become a little shorter, we’re all reaching for the warmer, heartier, more comforting meals. And with the world in the state it’s in, we could all use a little chocolatey brownie goodness to brighten our day.
But do we really need an excuse to bake brownies? I don’t think so! They’re the perfect way to brighten up a glum day. The most delicious tea time treat. How nice is it to come home or step away from your computer after a long day and remember that you have deliciously gooey fudgy brownies waiting to be eaten? You’ll thank your past self for baking these fudgy beauties!
- Caster sugar
- Cocoa powder
- Plain flour
- Baking powder
- Dark chocolate (at least 70%)
This is a basic recipe. You can add fruit, chocolate chips or peanut butter to the recipe if you like. It’s completely up to you!
If you’re unable to find eggs or you just prefer to not use them, you can substitute the eggs for mashed banana or yoghurt. You’ll need half a mashed banana or 1/4 cup yoghurt per egg. If you’d like to make this recipe vegan you can also switch the butter for the same amount of avocado.
The Best Fudgy Brownies
- 23x33cm baking tin
- Large mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Hand mixer / whisk
- Baking paper
- Measuring cups / scales / spoons
- 400 g Caster sugar
- 225 g Butter
- 60 g Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 4 Eggs
- 225 g Plain flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 100 g Dark chocolate at least 70% cocoa
- Preheat oven to 180C | 160C fan.
- Line a 23x33cm baking tray with butter (helps it stick) then baking or greaseproof paper.
- Melt 225g butter and 100g chocolate together in a small mixing bowl. Either do this over a pan of boiling water (you only need about an inch or two of water – don't let the bowl touch the water) or in a microwave (do 30 second intervals until it's all melted so you don't burn the mixture).
- Whisk 400g caster sugar and 4 eggs together until light and airy.
- Add 1tsp vanilla extract.
- Fold chocolate mixture into egg mixture. Don't overmix! You want to keep the mixture light for ultimate gooey goodness.
- Sift 225g plain flour, 60g cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt into your mixture and gently mix until combined. Again, don't overmix.
- Once fully combined, pour mixture into baking tray.
- Bake in over for 30-40 minutes. Make sure to check the "doneness" with a skewer or toothpick after 30 minutes. It should come out with some mixture and crumbs on it. If it comes out wet, it's undercooked and you should continue baking for 5 minute intervals until ready. See notes.
- Cool completely and slice. Due to the ultimate fudginess of these brownies, you will find it difficult to remove them from the dish while warm. Leave them to cool in the dish then transfer to a baking tray until completely cooled. If you'd rather serve hot, just slice in the pan and remove with a palette knife, cake server, spatula, fork or whatever you have.
And there you have it! Delicious, fudgy, gooey brownies that probably won’t last a week in this house at least. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply